Natural Areas Evaluation Committee
The Illinois Natural Areas Inventory is a dynamic database that is updated regularly. The Natural Areas Evaluation Committee, or NAEC, is the committee dedicated to maintaining the Illinois Natural Areas Inventory. Triannual meetings of the NAEC are conducted to assess the addition, modification, or removal of an INAI site based on the presence or absence of qualifying features.
Qualifying features can fall into the following categories:
I. High-quality natural communities
II. Specific suitable habitat occupied by endangered and/or threatened species
III. Illinois Nature Preserves, Land & Water Reserves, Natural Heritage Landmarks
IV. Outstanding geologic features
V. (currently unused)
VI. Unusual concentration of flora and/or fauna
Nomination Procedure for INAI Sites
- Any person or organization may inform the IDNR's Natural Areas Program of a potential natural area by following the INAI Nomination Checklist and filling out an INAI Nomination and Approval Form.
- The Natural Areas Program notifies the Natural Heritage Biologist (NHB) from the district where the site occurs if they are not the nominator.
- The NHB determines whether the site warrants evaluation.
- If action is warranted the NHB or a person approved by the NHB will evaluate the site. This process will be completed within two years from the time of nomination.
- Complete nominations must be approved by the IDNR NHB for the county in which the site is located, in consultation with the INPC Natural Areas Preservation Specialist (NAPS).
- The Natural Areas Evaluation Committee will consider all nomination requests with complete documentation and notify the nominator of the action taken.
INAI Standards and Guidelines - Approved Februaury 28th, 2023
|Meeting||Nomination Packets Due Date||Meeting Date|
INAI Nomination Forms:
- INAI Checklist for Site Nomination
- INAI Nomination and Approval Form
- INAI Site Evaluation Form
- INAI Grading Form (Blank)
- INAI Grading Form (Fillable)
- INAI Qualitative Vegetation Sampling
- INAI Vegetation Sampling (Understory)
- INAI Vegetation Sampling (Overstory)
- INAI Vegetation Sampling (Ground layer)
- INAI Specific Suitable Habitat Form
- INAI Category II Feature Deletion Form
- INAI Stream Grading Form
- EOR Form
- Site Surveillance Form
*Forms might need to be downloaded to computer to work properly
Contact DNR.NaturalAreas@illinois.gov with any questions.